How to Make Your Own Costumes- Garden Fairy
Tape measure; pencil; 1 yard of 1 ½" satin or grosgrain white ribbon; five 26"-
square chiffon scarves in assorted pastels; scissors; low-temperature glue
gun; needle and white thread; white leotard and tights; 5 to 6 bags of ribbon
roses in white and pink (available at craft stores); 3 to 4 garlands of small silk
roses (available at craft stores); 2 yards each of 1/8" pink, green, purple, and
blue satin ribbon; 1 roll clear packing tape; 1 roll 19-gauge wire; ½ yard of sheer
white fabric; straight pins; watering can.
TO MAKE SKIRT:
1. Measure child's waist.
2. Find the center of the white ribbon. Mark off the waist measurement from
the center, so that you have extra length at both ends to tie in a sash.
3. Cut the scarves into 13" squares. Lay each square flat, grab the center, and
pinch so that the four corners fall into points. Glue pinched ends to the bottom
inside of the ribbon, between the waist measurements. Space the scarves
about 1 ½" apart. If you prefer, you can sew the scarves to the ribbon.
4. Use the glue gun to attach roses to scarves in a random manner.
5. Use the glue gun to attach roses to sleeves, shoulders, and neck of leotard.
Add a few roses to tights at ankles.
6. Make a head wreath using a rose garland. Measure garland around head and
tie in back. Cut 1/8" satin ribbons in assorted lengths and tie to sides of
7. Measure and cut another rose garland to wear as a sash across chest.
Stretch it from behind one shoulder across chest and around waist to back.
Using a needle and thread, tack garland to leotard in back when child is
TO MAKE WINGS:
1. Cut a piece of wire approximately 52" long. Form into the shape of wings as
shown in diagram (below), twisting in the center. Lay wings flat.
2. Cut four rectangular pieces of wing fabric a little larger than each wire wing
shape. Lay a piece of fabric over and under each wire wing, sandwiching the
wire in between. Secure all around with straight pins.
3. Sew pieces of fabric together along outer edges of wire. Trim excess
4. Cover twisted wire ends with tape so that they are not sharp.
5. When child is dressed, use a large piece of clear tape to attach center of
wings to leotard.
TO MAKE WATERING-CAN TREAT BAG:
1. Wrap garland around can, twisting ends around handle and nozzle to secure.