Tape measure; scissors; newspaper or other paper for pattern; straight pins;
pinking shears; ½ yard of black chiffon; 2 yards of ½" black grosgrain ribbon;
needle and black thread; ½ yard of black velvet; small bag of fiberfill; black
leotard and tights; black gloves; 1 square each of pink, white, black, and red
felt; small shopping bag; black paint; craft glue or low-temperature glue gun;
white pipe cleaners.[cont. on p.140]
TO MAKE SKIRT:
1. Measure child's waist.
2. Use diagram (above) to make a newspaper pattern. Use waist measurement
for center circle.
3. Cut out pattern and check dimensions. Pin pattern to chiffon and cut using
4. Cut black ribbon in half. Use 1 yard for waistband. Center edge of skirt on
ribbon and sew in place.
TO MAKE HOOD:
1. Follow diagram (above) to make a newspaper pattern. Cut out and check the
dimensions. (You may want to make a hood from scrap fabric first to check fit.)
2. Fold velvet in half, right sides together. Pin pattern to velvet and cut with
3. Sew seam up back of hood. Trim excess. Turn hood right side out.
4. Cut remaining yard of ribbon in half. Pin both pieces on sides of hood so they
can be comfortably tied. Sew into place.
5. Cut ears. Sew the seams inside out. Turn hood right side out. Fill ¾ full with
fiberfill. Baste to top sides of hood.
TO MAKE TAIL:
1. Cut a 12"-×-4" strip of velvet. Fold in half lengthwise, with right sides
2. Sew seam up long side and across bottom. Turn right side out.
3. Fill ¾ full with fiberfill.
4. Sew to top of waistband on back of the black tights.
TO MAKE GLOVES:
1. Cut ten small circles of pink felt.
2. Glue a circle on each glove fingertip.
TO MAKE CAT TREAT BAG:
1. Paint bag black. Allow it to dry.
2. Follow patterns (above) to cut out face shapes from the felt.
3. Glue shapes to bag.
4. Glue on whiskers.